- BuildingDesign News - Construction / Services News Archives

  • Connect With Us
  • Follow BuildingDesign on Twitter Connect with BuildingDesign on LinkedIn Become a fan on Facebook Subscribe to BuildingDesign's RSS Feed Follow BuildingDesign Media on Google+
Article Date: 11th March 2013

Bilco Provides Sweet Solution for Luxury Edinburgh Student Accommodation

Smoke Vents - Smoke Ventilation - Access Hatches - Roof Hatches

Bilco Sugarhouse Close

Seven Bilco MUGEW-50REM single leaf smoke vents have been installed on four blocks of Sugarhouse Close, Edinburgh’s prestigious new student accommodation in the heart of the Old Town. The vents, from specialist roof hatch manufacturer Bilco, will help to protect the 300 resident students in the event of fire, and will also afford protection for a number of listed buildings which make up part of the complex. Appropriate ventilation helps to prevent the spread of fire and buys valuable time for fire fighters to tackle flames.

Also supplied were Bilco OS2 control panels for the smoke vents which ensure that in the event of mains power loss, the vents will still open thanks to the battery back-up system. The control panel kit also comprises a fireman’s switch which allows the Fire Officer to manually override the smoke control system.

The single leaf 1000mm x 1000mm MUGEW-50REM smoke vents, specified and installed by Watkin Jones Group, specialists in student accommodation, have been installed in a selection of renovated existing buildings and newbuild blocks. These together comprise the new en-suite and studio flat accommodation, managed by CRM Students, and located just off Edinburgh’s Royal Mile. The selection of standard sizes from the Bilco range was a wise cost effective choice on the part of Watkin Jones as standard products can often be supplied from stock in just a few days, making it easier to plan the installation into construction schedules.

The Sugarhouse Close location takes its name from the former sugar refining industry which began on site in 1752. From 1868 it became home to the local Holyrood brewing industry in Edinburgh which continued on site to the end of the 20th Century. The first students were expected to move into the complex from September 2012.

BuildingDesign Media © - BuildingDesign Directory | BuildingDesign Tenders | BuildingDesign Recruitment